Spaghetti and Meatball Soup is a hearty meal in a bowl that will please the entire family.It's soup season! And I am on a roll of making soup almost every week. While I love many of the soups we have on the blog: White Chicken Chili, Sweet Corn & Apple Bisque, Southwestern Corn Chowder, we were missing a tomato-based soup. One of our favorite restaurants for lunch is Hale and Hearty. They always impress me with their new and unique soup offerings. Jackie stopped in for lunch one day, and came home raving about their Broken Lasagna Soup. She thought it was a great idea for a meal that was satisfying and delicious. My chef's brain immediately went to work. Spaghetti is one pasta that I always have on hand since it is my son's favorite. I knew I could create a Spaghetti and Meatball soup that would please the entire family.I had some meatballs in the freezer from a previous batch of wedding soup, so this spaghetti and meatball creation came together in no time. When i make classic spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, I always start with crushed tomatoes as a base. I then make an Alfredo sauce and combine the two at the end to make heavenly, creamy "pink" sauce. This seemed to me the perfect route to take for this soup. Sure enough, Jackie loved it. I loved it. But the true test was my son. I called him in for lunch, put a bowl of this in front of him, and didn't say a word. This is the way to truly test a recipe. I left the kitchen, walked back in, and sure enough he was at the stove serving himself up a second bowl. To me, this is better than winning a James Beard award; I made my picky teenager happy.
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
A soup that makes a great starter on a cool fall day. This soup is packed with a combination of creamy alfredo and tangy Marinara sauce and tiny meatballs.
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 2 Quarts 1x
- 8 oz dry thin spaghetti
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp corn starch
- ½ C parmesan cheese
- 10-12 basil leaves
- For the meatballs:
- 4 oz ground beef
- ¼ C panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt pepper
- To make the meatballs:
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- roll meat mixture into dime size meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a sauté pan and cook over medium heat until meatballs are browned, (about 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from pan, leaving grease in pan.
- To make soup:
- Add butter and chopped garlic cloves to sauté pan you cooked the meatballs in.
- When butter is melted, add cornstarch and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
- In a stock pot pour Crushed tomatoes, oregano, pepper, crushed red pepper and cook covered over medium high heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 3 cups water and dry spaghetti broken into small pieces and cook over medium high heat until pasta is al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Turn heat to medium low and add alfredo mixture and continue to cook 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Rough chop basil leaves and add to soup. Remove from heat and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 495
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 536.9 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Protein: 15.3 g
- Cholesterol: 129.8 mg
Keywords: pasta, spaghetti, soup, meatballs, italian, comfort, winter, autumn, warming, basil,
This looks great! We've been on a zoodles kick lately. I may try it with that instead of spaghetti. 🙂
great idea Gretchen!! Please let us know how it turns out.... and take pics!! 🙂