Southwestern Pork Tostadas are an easy way to make a meal with bold, traditional Mexican flavors.Jackie and I have an obsession of sorts with Southwestern cuisine. Whether it be Tex-Mex, Mexican, or just a well-rounded smoky and spicy dish, we have a weakness for it all. We love to make this kind of food at home because it is simple yet rich in flavor. So, when our friends at Simply Organic asked us to partner with them on the launch of their new line of Organic Simmer Sauces, we were excited to give them all a try.
Made with 100% organic ingredients, Simply Organic Simmer Sauces make it easy to create a restaurant-quality, gourmet meal at home. This is exactly the kind of food we specialize in at Superman Cooks, so we were anxious to get to work. Rather than go the traditional route, I began experimenting with other ways to create a great tasting dish using the Simmer Sauce as a base. For these Spicy Southwestern Pork Tostadas, we used the Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce, combining it with fresh vegetables and bold spices.
The finished result was a complexly flavored, tender pork which we served on a warm corn tortilla with pickled onion. It is smoky and a bit spicy, and the pickled onions give it a sweet finish. This Southwestern Spicy Pork tastes authentic, yet it is easy to prepare, using the bold, traditional flavors of Mexican cuisine.
We think this tastes amazing served on a fresh corn tortilla (not to mention it is gluten-free), but it would be equally good served over a bed of Spanish rice or on a crusty roll topped with veggies and cheese. Either way, it is an ideal family-style dish that can be personalized according to taste. Leave it to Simply Organic to fuel our Southwestern obsession.
* Please check out Superman Cooks featured photography on the Simply Organic Simmer Sauce campaign.
* This post is sponsored by our friends at Simply Organic. All opinions are our own.
- 2 lbs organic pork, cubed
- 1 packet Simply Organic Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce
- 3 banana peppers
- 1 6 oz can Chipotle peppers
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp Simply Organic crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp Simply Organic smoked paprika
- 2 green onions, chopped
- corn tortillas
- 1 red onion
- ½ C white vinegar
- ¼ C white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place cubed pork, Simmer Sauce, onion, pepper, chipotles, crushed red pepper and smoked paprika in an oven safe container with a lid along with 1 C water.
- Place in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- While this is cooking, slice red onion thinly and place in sauce pan along with the vinegar and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from mixture and allow to cool.
- To assemble tostadas, warm corn tortillas in oven for 5 minutes, in a single layer.
- Assemble with pork mixture, and top with pickled onions and your favorite toppings (cheese, avocado, cilantro, tomatoes and sour cream).
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Southwestern America