Steel City Grilled Cheese is a sandwich piled high with flavor, just like what you find in Pittsburgh. We are all about a sandwich piled high with savory toppings. In Pittsburgh, no one does this better than Primanti’s. The first time I had the pleasure of visiting this local favorite sandwich joint was soon after I first met Keith. He took me to my first Pirates game one beautiful summer evening, and insisted that we park across the river. He had made these plans for two reasons: one so that we could walk across the beautiful bridge leading to the stadium, and two so that we could enjoy a classic Primanti’s sandwich before the game. Little did I know that I was in for a real treat. Only in Pittsburgh can you find this signature sandwich, piled high with your choice of toppings, and complete with sweet cole slaw and fries–yes fries–inside the sandwich. I was hooked at first bite. So when Keith and I were shuffling ideas around for a signature Superman Cooks grilled cheese, we simply had to pay homage to our favorite hometown joint. For this Steel City Grilled Cheese, Keith made up some homemade shoestring fries, which added a lot of flavor and superb crunch. He used red cabbage to make the vinaigrette slaw, which added a great pop of color to our sandwich. We doubled up on cheese, selecting a mild gouda and a herbed cream cheese. And our sandwich would not be Superman Cooks without some peppery pastrami. We love this sandwich just about as much as we love “the Burgh”, and that is one hell of a lot.Print
A great Superman cooks replica of a hometown favorite
- 2 Slices Thick Slice Italian Bread
- 1 C French Fries
- 4 Ounces Sliced Gouda Cheese
- 4 Ounces Cream cheese
- 1 C shredded Red Cabbage
- 6 ounces sliced Pastrami
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- cooking spray
- To make the slaw:
- Mix vinegar, sugar,garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste and allow to set for at least 15 minutes
- To make the herbed cream cheese:
- Mix cream cheese,italian seasoning and onion powder until combined.
- Prepare sandwich by heating a skillet over medium heat
- Spray one side of two slices of bread with oil.
- Spread other side with cream cheese and place oiled side down in saute pan
- Top cream cheese with gouda, pastrami and allow cheese to melt and bread to brown.
- Once complete remove from pan and top with fries.
- Drain slaw and top fries and then place second slice of bread on top to complete sandwich.
- slice and enjoy.