Strawberries and chocolate are perhaps the perfect complement. I always find it difficult to walk by a Godiva store whenever I am out shopping. Those large, succulent strawberries covered in rich dark chocolate stare at me from the store window, beckoning me inside to spend my money and fill my tummy. When Keith discovered this “dirty little secret”, he suggested we make our own at home. Not only is this an economical idea, but it also makes for a fun evening with someone you love.
Of course you have to start with good chocolate. I think the slight bitterness of a good, dark chocolate best complements the natural sweetness of a strawberry. We drizzled white chocolate over the top of our strawberries to make them extra pretty. But Keith had another trick up his sleeve: he “cored” the inside of each berry and filled it with white chocolate as well. Godiva’s got nothing on us!
I love this simple, yet elegant little dessert, and I don’t feel guilty for eating a few of them. It is fruit after all, right? We suggest opening a bottle of champagne and sharing these with someone you love. A night in has never been better.
A lovely little dessert that will impress your sweetheart
- 12 large fresh strawberries
- 8 oz dark chocolate bar
- 8 oz white chocolate bar
- Wash and dry strawberries
- In a double boiler (or glass bowl over simmering water), melt white chocolate. You may need to add a bit of butter or milk to thin the white chocolate.
- Using a thick straw,core the strawberry by inserting it at pointed end. This will leave a channel that will be used to fill with white chocolate.
- Place melted white chocolate in a zip lock sandwich bag and cut bottom corner off to create a pastry bag.
- Carefully fill the channel of the strawberry with the white chocolate.
- Using a cupcake tin, stand strawberries upright to allow chocolate to set.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutest (or until chocolate is set).
- In a separate bowl, melt dark chocolate.
- Carefully dip filled strawberries into melted dark chocolate to coat, leaving stem visible.
- Place on wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate sets.
- Using remaining white chocolate, drizzle over chocolate dipped strawberries as shown.
- Place back in refrigerator to set.
- Serve with champagne.