This is our signature salad. Keith and I love blue cheese. In fact, I have come home on occasion to find him eating it in crumbles straight out of the refrigerator. We have been developing this salad for a while now, crafting many iterations. Finally, we have arrived at what we think is the perfect recipe.
I am always trying to find ways to make meals healthier, and I like to trick myself into eating lots of greens. This salad is the perfect way to do that. It all started with trying to find a way to showcase blue cheese. We think that sliced, tangy apples and dried cranberries do the trick. Toasted walnuts add that extra crunch that makes for the most splendid bite. And of course, Keith has crafted a delicious tangy apple cider vinaigrette that ties the whole thing together. This is the quintessential side salad, or add grilled chicken and make it a main dish!!
A light yet flavorful salad with many textures to please any palate
- 4 oz bag spring mix
- ½ C blue cheese crumbles
- ½ C dried cranberries
- ½ C walnuts
- 1 small granny smith apple
- 1 tbsp. course ground mustard
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- ¼ C apple juice
- ¼ C apple cider vinegar
- ½ C olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauté pan place the walnuts and roast over medium heat for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Peel, core and dice the apple into ¼ inch pieces.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the mustard, garlic, apple juice and vinegar and mix till blended.
- Add the olive oil slowly to the mixture while whisking to prevent dressing from separating and set aside
- Rinse and thoroughly dry spring mix and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the blue cheese, apples, cranberries, walnuts and dressing and toss and serve.