The mere idea of "candied bacon" sounds like an unnecessary indulgence.... kind of like a deep-fried Snickers Bar. Why bother? Bacon, by itself, is one of the most incredible things in the world to eat. It stands as a large barrier between me and vegetarianism. Although I generally try hard to stay away from this fatty food, I cannot help but to partake in it from time to time. This is one of those times. With this candied bacon recipe, Keith somehow found a way to make my favorite indulgence taste even better.
This pecan-crusted candied bacon is without a doubt one of my favorite things Keith has ever made. His idea of simply adding a spicy-sugary rub and topping it with pecans is pure genius. The sweet, complex flavor of the brown sugar with a surprise Cajun-spicy finish actually added to the naturally delicious, salty flavor of smoked bacon. You can only imagine what this smelled like as it was baking: pure heaven.This candied bacon is quite perfect by itself as part of our favorite meal, weekend brunch. But don't worry, we are already busy concocting other uses for it, as the flavor is way too special. Look out for sandwiches, burgers, and who knows what else. I am really trying to limit my indulgence of this spectacular creation (and get to the gym to balance out my mistakes). What's worse is that it is so easy to make! I never knew bacon could be this good.
Taking bacon to the next level with a sweet kick of heat and a subtle crunch of goodness.
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- ¾ C brown sugar
- ¼ C Cajun seasoning
- ¼ C finely chopped pecans
- In a mixing bowl combine the sugar and Cajun seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Cover surface of cookie cooling rack with cooking spray and place on baking sheet
- Place mixture in a shallow dish and take bacon one slice at a time and press into mixture, covering one side of bacon thoroughly.
- Lay bacon on cookie rack and repeat till all bacon is coated.
- Sprinkle bacon with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until bacon is done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and serve.