A robust and flavorful meatball that has a sweet element followed by subtle heat
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 C finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp Gochujang sauce
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 1/2 C chili sauce
- 1/2 C sweetened coconut
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 C chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, green pepper, bread crumb, egg and garlic powder. Form into golf ball size meatballs.
- Place in large non-stick sauté pan and cook on burner set to medium/high. Turn often until brown.
- Transfer to oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Remove meatballs from pan and discard grease.
- Return meatballs to pan and in a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients in sauce and mix. Add mixture to sauté pan and add 1/2 C water and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce has thickened to resemble a spaghetti sauce.
- Serve on a sandwich or over a bed of rice, garnish with coconut and cilantro.