Homestyle Stuffed Potatoes with Sausage & Bacon are a great side dish for grilling season, filled with farmers’ market fresh herbs, smoked bacon and sausage.
The farmers’ markets are really starting to brighten up around here, and we have been frequent visitors. Not only are we enjoying a fleeting love affair with local ramps, but the fresh garlic and herbs have most recently caught my beloved chef’s eye. Keith has been using all of these local fresh gems to make some stunning dishes that scream summer, which we hope to be sharing in the weeks to come. But funny enough, a savory and comforting potato is what we have chosen to showcase today. This is no ordinary potato my friends. Keith’s Homestyle Stuffed Potato with Bacon and Sausage is the stuff of dreams. Keith has had sausage and bacon on the brain for a while now, and let’s be honest, potatoes have a permanent home there. It’s funny how his mind works: fresh herbs immediately translate to seasoning for sausage, and seasoned sausage leads to potatoes. I’m beginning to wonder if everything leads to potatoes.
I’m not complaining. These Homestyle Stuffed Potatoes are serious comfort food. The smoked bacon and pork sausage make for a savory and satisfying addition to a simple potato, and Keith’s combination of fresh herbs are just the right touch. My midwestern heart beats fast just thinking about this delicious homestyle dish.
A great side dish for grilling season. Filled with fresh herbs, bacon and sausage.
- 3 large baking potatoes
- 8 oz bacon, chopped
- 4 oz sausage
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage
- 4 oz gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 C wild garlic chopped with greens (can substitute scallions)
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and poke holes into potatoes with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Place on oven rack and cook for 60-70 minutes and until potatoes are fork tender
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes
- Turn oven temperature down to 325 degrees
- In a medium sauté pan, add olive oil, chopped bacon, sausage and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Turn heat to low and add chopped garlic, wild garlic and sage and cook for 5 minutes.
- When potatoes have cooled, slice in half lengthwise.
- With a spoon, scoop out potato meat, leaving a 1/4 in of potato meat in the skin.
- Add potato meat to the bacon mixture and add butter and gouda cheese.
- Mix until well combined.
- Fill potato shells with potato and bacon mixture and place on bacon sheet.
- Top with shredded cheddar and place in oven until cheese has melted. About 15 minutes.
- Remove and salt and pepper to taste.