My midwestern man’s palate is both sophisticated and diverse. Yet somehow, curry powder had never found its way onto one of his plates, much less into his pantry. Thanks to bit of coaxing and an odd stroke of luck, I am positively delighted to be writing a post about curried carrots on Superman Cooks.
I am the adventuresome eater in the family. Living in a large city has spoiled me for choice when it comes to food. With the world of flavors at my doorstep, I managed to develop a particular fondness for Southeast Asian and Indian food over the years. I have been sharing this love with Keith for as long as I have known him. While he is generally open to most things, my “meat and potatoes” man has yet to cross over into the world of Indian cuisine. Though I have coaxed, begged and pleaded, a curry date was Keith is just not in the cards.
One fortuitous evening, however, things changed. Keith and I were sharing a meal at one of our new favorite haunts, the Commoner. We decided to share some vegetable sides, and I heard him ask the waiter for the “candied carrots”. What he did not realize was that the menu actually read “curried carrots”. Despite my awareness of his mistake, I sneakily let it go and hoped for the best. The plate arrived, and Keith immediately dove in, blissfully unaware of what he was about to experience. I held my breath and watched, as a look of surprise fell over his face. He kneaded his brow, then took a second bite… and then a third… The gig was up. He was eating curried carrots and he was thoroughly enjoying them!
You know by now how the story goes. We both enjoyed this dish so much that Keith insisted on trying it at home, adding crushed salted peanuts, chives, and a gorgeous tahini yogurt sauce. This is honestly one of my favorite things he has made to date. The natural sweetness of the carrots is perfectly complimented by the complex herbs and spices, and the yogurt sauce gives the dish a nice, cool finish. I couldn’t be happier to see curry powder in our pantry, and I can only hope this is the beginning of a new frontier for my favorite chef and our little blog.
A healthy and flavorful side dish that will keep you wanting more.
- 8 oz carrots
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 C peanuts
- 1/2 C Greek yogurt (plain)
- 2 tbsp Tahini paste
- Chives for garnish
- Slice carrots on bias 1/4 inch thick .
- Boil carrots until fork tender over medium high heat about 7 minutes.
- Drain carrots and add to medium sauté pan with melted butter, sauté for 2 minutes
- Add brown sugar and cook until carrots have a slight brown to them. About 5 minutes
- Add curry powder and toss to coat carrots and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 quantity of peanuts which are finely chopped.
- Toss together and transfer to plate.
- Mix together tahini and yogurt and drizzle over carrots with remaining chopped peanuts.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy.