This mouth-watering meatball sandwich has a bit of an identity crisis. In New York, we know it as a “hero”: that foot-long super sandwich stuffed with meat and cheese, sometimes sliced to share at tailgating parties. In the midwest, the very same sandwich is only referred to as a “sub”. Regardless of its name, Keith’s turkey meatball hero, served on a crunchy French baguette, is one big sandwich worth trying.
Hero, Sub, Poor Boy, Grinder: I am honestly confused by all this regional lingo. A big meaty sandwich is one worth eating, no matter what you call it. With March Madness in full swing and opening day right around the corner, we had a hankering for a foot long sandwich to share. Keith is never one to disappoint. He crafted some savory meatballs out of lean ground turkey, and served them on a freshly baked French baguette, drizzled with tomato and alfredo sauce. Game day could not get more delicious.
I love the simplicity of this turkey meatball hero. It is perfect for those meat-loving, sporty types who want a “real sandwich” when tailgating, but it also satisfies those with a more distinguished palate. We ultimately called it a "hero", but I also call it delicious.
A healthy alternative to a classic meatball hero. Made with turkey and love.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ C diced banana peppers
- ½ C finely ground pistachios
- ¼ C milk
- 1 tbsp ground Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ c olive oil
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 8" French baguettes
- Tear bread into small pieces and place in medium bowl. Cover with milk.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix together turkey, eggs, diced peppers, pistachios and mustard.
- Mix in milk soaked bread and remaining milk. Mix until well combined.
- Roll into 2 inch balls, place on plate and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat,
- Place meatballs in pan and sauté, turning frequently until well browned.
- Add tomato sauce, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve on sliced baguettes and add your favorite toppings, cheese, Alfredo sauce or fresh herbs.