Veggie, Ricotta & Honey Tartines are a light & simple dish, highlighting locally sourced ingredients.
Tartines of all kinds are popping up on menus everywhere. In New York, tartines are a staple on many brunch menus, served savory and sweet, and topped with an array of different options. Jackie loves toasts and tartines for brunch (especially our Mixed Mushroom Toast), but I do not usually order them for a few different reasons. The most important one is that that this amount of food is rarely enough to satisfy my appetite.
If you have been following superman cooks for a while, you know that we love to replicate recipes from our favorite restaurants. These Veggie, Ricotta & Honey Tartines are no exception. This recipe was inspired by a road trip to Hershey, Pennsylvania, where we spent a great afternoon at Tröegs Brewery. The beer and the atmosphere were amazing, and the menu at the snack bar was loaded with inspired, local fare (check out our Roasted Carrot & Radish Hummus as another example).
These Veggie, Ricotta & Honey Tartines are our version of a dish we enjoyed at Tröegs. It is simply delicious and perfect for a light lunch or a simple brunch. It also highlights some of our favorite veggies from our local farmers’ market. We loved that Tröegs shows as much care with their food menu as it does with their beer. This dish pairs just as well with Jackie’s favorite, Dream Weaver, or my favorite, Perpetual IPA. Cheers!
Looking for an easy vegetarian snack? Veggie, Ricotta & Honey Tartines combine seasonal fresh vegetables with savory ricotta cheese & a touch of honey.
- 4 thick slices of your favorite bread (we used sourdough).
- 1 1/2 C ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dill
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 C pea shoots or arugula
- 1/4 C honey
FOR THE VEGGIES:
- 1/2 C sliced carrots (we used baby tri-colored)
- 1/2 C fresh sliced radishes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 C vinegar (cider or white)
- 1 C hot water
TO MARINATE VEGGIES:
- Mix hot water, vinegar and sugar together. Add carrots and radishes and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- Toast or grill the bread, and while toasting mix the ricotta cheese with the dill, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta evenly over the toast. Drain the carrots and radishes and layer over ricotta.
- Top with pea shoots and drizzle honey over top.
Keywords: veggie, vegetarian, vegetable, snack, savory, ricotta, cheese, sourdough, bread, carrot, radish