A white chili made with flavorful chicken and navy beans with a southwestern kick
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 LB navy beans (dry)
- 1 TBSP chicken base
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- (For this recipe where you can prep the night before by cooking the chicken and soaking the beans)
- Cut up chicken into pieces. Place in large stock pot and cover with 1 gallon water.
- Add garlic, 1 tsp black pepper, bay leaf and chicken base.
- Bring water to boil and reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- When chicken is done, remove chicken from water with tongs and place on baking sheet. Reserve the water to use next day for the soup.
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool overnight in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, soak beans according to package.
- To prepare soup:
- Remove all chicken from bones and dice up
- In a large pot, place the oil and diced onions and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add remaining liquid reserved from chicken.
- Bring to a boil and drain beans. Then add beans to pot.
- Cook over medium high heat until beans are tender, about 30 minutes
- Add diced chicken to pot and reduce heat to low.
- Combine 2 tbsp flour with 1/2 c water and mix until smooth in a cup.
- Dice peppers and add to soup and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add this to soup to thicken slightly
- Cut, remove seeds and dice tomatoes and add to soup, continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chopped 1/4 C cilantro and add along with cumin and allow to sit for 15 minutes removed from heat.
- Serve in bowl and top with shredded cheese
Keywords: chicken, soup, chili, bean, mexican, tex-mdx, savory, hearty