For the sauce:
- 16 oz apple juice
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter
For the pastry:
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill AP Organic Flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 c shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
For the filling:
- 4 apples, cored and peeled
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter
To make the pastry:
- Mix together both flours, shortening and salt and combine until crumbly.
- In a small bowl combine beaten egg, water and vinegar and then add to flour mixture and knead until dough is formed completely.
- Divide Dough in half and wrap each portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
To assemble and bake:
- preheat oven to 350°.
- Take each portion of dough and roll on floured surface into a 7" x14" rectangle. Cut in half to finish with 2 7"x7" squares of dough.
- Repeat with other dough ball. Use excess dough to form leaves and stems for decoration.
- Place an apple in center of each dough square.
- In the center of each apple place 1 tbsp butter and push into apple.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and divide, and top butter in center of apple.
- Grabbing dough in diagonal fashion, grab a corner of the dough and pull to form on top of apple and press edges together to seal. Repeat on other two corners as well as each of the other apples.
- When complete, place all 4 apples in baking dish and garnish with dough leaves and steps ( optional).
- Top with half of sauce (recipe below) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
To make the sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan, combine apple juice, corn starch, brown sugar and cinnamon and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and reserve half of sauce to cool for serving dumplings.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 dumpling
- Calories: 1655
- Sugar: 72 g
- Sodium: 631 mg
- Fat: 102.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 171.9 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 107.6 mg
Keywords: Apple, fall, autumn, pie, dumpling, cinnamon, dessert, sweet, thanksgiving, holiday