Buttery, flaky, and layered with cheese, this southern style Cheddar Cheese Biscuit recipe is an instant classic that melts in your mouth.
- 2 C All Purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1/3 C whole milk
- 2 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Preheat oven to 450°. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Add shortening and butter and cut (using a dough cutter or two butter knives) until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in buttermilk and milk. Mix lightly and quickly with your hands to form a dough to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Turn onto floured surface and top dough with bacon, cheese and chives.
- Knead dough by folding dough over itself and pressing down.
- Turn dough 1/2 turn and repeat 6-7 times until dry.
- Roll out until dough is 1/2 in thick. Using a 3 inch biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and re-roll dough until all biscuits are cut.
- Place biscuits onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in oven. Turn oven temperature down to 400° and bake about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove form oven and spread tops of biscuits with melted butter (optional).
Keywords: biscuit, bread, southern, buttermilk, cheese, cheesy, cheddar, chives, bacon, brunch, baking