A beautiful, rich recipe perfect for entertaining and sure to please your guests
- 2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 1 C red wine
- 1 lb tri-color carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp beef base
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 medium onion
- 6-10 chippolini onions
- 1/4 olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil. While oil is heating up, salt and pepper all sides of short ribs.
- Place ribs in sauté pan and brown all sides. Remove and place in heavy dutch oven.
- Cut celery and tri-colored carrots into 2 inch pieces and place around ribs.
- In sauté pan, add 1 medium onion (diced into small pieces) and cook until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add red wine, tomato paste, rosemary and beef base and cook for 1 minute and then add mixture to short ribs.
- Peel chippolini onions and add to ribs.
- Cover and place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325° and continue to cook for 1 hour 30 minutes (or until beef is tender).
- Remove from oven. Serve over mashed potatoes, spooning liquid mixture and vegetables on top.