This is a hearty recipe that is a derived from the flavors of Eastern Europe. This can be served as a meal or as a side dish.
- 2 quarts chopped red cabbage
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 10 oz dry pasta (we used Barilla Casarecce)
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 TBSP salt
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/2 C butter lettuce shredded as garnish
- Cook Pasta according to directions on package. Drain and allow to cool
- Bring a large stock pot filled with water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain cabbage and set aside.
- In the same stockpot, add the olive oil and dice bacon into 1/4" pieces and add to pot.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Julienne onions, add to pot and cook together with bacon over medium high heat until bacon is cooked through and onions are a caramel color ( about 10 minutes).
- Add red cabbage and cook an additional 10 minutes until cabbage has wilted and slightly browned.
- Add pasta to pot and stir to combine, now add butter and balsamic vinegar and cook while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add caraway seeds and salt and pepper and serve with butter lettuce sprinkled over top.