Combining the crispy, buttery texture of a classic shortbread with chunks of dark chocolate & sea salt, these cookies our latest obsession.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp salted butter (2 1/4 sticks) at room temperature, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 6 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- demerara sugar (for rolling, we substituted regular granulated sugar in a pinch).
- flaky sea salt
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper
- Using a hand mixer, beat the butter, both sugars and vanilla until it's super light and fluffy (6 to 8 min).
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and, with the mixer on low, slowly add the flour, followed by the chocolate chunks. Mix just to blend.
- If necessary, knead the dough with your hands to make sure the flour is totally incorporated. At this point, the dough should be smooth and feel like Play-Doh with no pockets of flour.
- Divide the dough in half on a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Fold the plastic over so that it covers the dough to protect your hands from getting sticky.
- Using you hands, form the dough into long shapes, rolling on the counter to help smooth it out. Keep the dough compact. Each half should form a 6" log, 2 to 2 1/4" in diameter.
- Chill the dough until totally firm (about 2 hours or overnight).
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Brush the outside of the logs with the beaten egg. Roll them in demerera sugar (or regular granulated sugar) for crisp edges.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully slice each log into 1/2" rounds (if you hit a chocolate chunk, slowly saw back and fourth through the chocolate). If the cookies break apart, just press them back together.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets about 1" apart. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before eating.
- cookie dough can be made ahead and stored, tightly wrapped in plastic, up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer.
- cookies can be backed and stored in plastic wrap or an airtight container for 5 days.
Keywords: cookie, shortbread, salted, chocolate, chip, chunk, butter, dessert