Homemade Chorizo & Cheese Ravioli, topped with fresh tomato sauce, is a great weeknight meal that the family can make and enjoy together.
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose organic flour
- 2 cage free eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 8 ounces organic chorizo sausage
- 6 ounces organic ricotta cheese
- 32 ounces organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Simply Organic smoked paprika (plus1 tsp for pasta dough)
- Parmesan cheese for grating over pasta
To make the sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan with lid place olive oil, crushed tomatoes, garlic (chopped),rosemary and pepper and cook covered over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon smoked paprika. Stir and allow to sit covered until pasta is ready.
- To make pasta filling:
- Saute chorizo sausage in pan until cooked.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then add ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon smoked paprika.
- Salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- To make pasta dough:
- On a counter, place 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour and make a well in the center to resemble a bowl.
- Place eggs and yolks into center of well and begin to whisk, while pulling flour in from sides until you can incorporate all flour.
- Mix with hands until dough is well combined and slightly tacky (you may have to add a little flour if dough is too sticky).
- Form into ball and cover with plastic and allow to sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut off small sections of the dough and place into pasta roller. Roll a few times, then sprinkle lightly with paprika, then roll dough again until very thin.
To fill ravioli:
- Lay rolled sheet of dough onto a flat surface and on drop 1 teaspoon of filling every 2-3 inches, keeping it just off center so you can fold the dough over the filling lengthwise to form pillows.
- Press down in between each ravioli with fingers trying to remove air from inside ravioli.
- Seal ravioli and cut in between each using a pastry wheel (shown in picture). Or you can use a knife and seal by pressing lightly with the prongs of a fork.
- The ravioli can be cooked immediately by placing in a pot of salted boiling water. Cook just until pasta has risen to the surface.
- Serve with paprika sauce and shredded parmesan cheese.
- Ravioli can be placed on sheet trays in a single layer and placed in freezer till frozen, then removed and stored in freezer bags for up to a month.
- To cook from frozen: place 10-12 in a pot of salted boiling water and cook for 5 minutes after pasta has risen to top.
Keywords: chorizo, sausage, homemade, ravioli, from scratch, pasta, simply organic, tomato, family, meal