Get ready for game day with this must-have tailgating favorite! Craft Beer Cheese & Soft Pretzel Bites is a tasty snack that all fans love.
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp dark paprika
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz of your favorite beer (we used IPA, however it was bitter for some. I liked it alot, but I would suggest a more subtle flavor such as a lager)
- 3 1/2 C flour (bread flour works best)
- 1 pkg dry instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 c baking soda
- 2 eggs
- kosher coarse salt
For the Beer Cheese:
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter then add the flour and whisk and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bottle of beer and whisk until smooth.
- Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic and paprika and continue to whisk until all cheese has melted and product is smooth (about 5 minutes).
For the Pretzels:
- In a large bowl add yeast, sugar, salt and 1 1/2 C warm water.
- Allow to set for 2 minutes, then add flour and mix until well combined.
- Turn onto floured surface and work dough until it forms a slightly sticky ball, adding water a tablespoon at a time if needed. About 5-8 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and roll dough ball in bowl until coated. Cover with loose plastic and allow to rise in warm place until doubled. about 2 hours.
- Remove and place on lightly floured surface and divide into 10 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log about 1/2 in diameter.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces and continue until all dough is cut. Place on baking sheet and cover with kitchen towel and allow to rest to rise about 30-40 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with water and baking soda and heat on medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and and lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- As water in pot starts to boil, place pretzel pieces in water in batches of about 20 and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on baking sheet, continue till all done.
- Brush pretzel pieces with beaten egg and top with coarse salt and bake 10-12 minutes until pretzels are golden brown.
- Remove and brush with melted butter, serve with cheese sauce to dip pretzels.
Keywords: game day, tailgating, football food, football, pretzels, beer cheese, cheese, craft beer