There is no better way to say "I love you" than a Dark Chocolate Torte with Bing Cherry Compote. This flourless chocolate cake is heavenly.
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 C sugar (divided)
- Pinch Salt
- 2 C fresh pitted bing cherries
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 9" springform pan.
- Using a double boiler, place a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water making sure the bowl is not touching the water. Melt chocolate and butter and stir until smooth and combined.
- In a separate large bowl, combine eggs, 1/2 C sugar and salt and mix with hand mixer until pale and thick, about 6-7 minutes.
- Fold half of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Add remaining egg mixture and fold until well combined.
- Pour batter into spring form pan and place in oven and bake until top no longer looks wet and a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean (about 35-45 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
- To prepare the topping:
- In a small sauce pan combine pitted cherries, 1/4 C sugar and 1/2 C water and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water and mix until combined.
- Add to cherry mixture and cook over med-low heat until sauce is dissolved . About 4-5 minutes stirring often. Sauce will thicken.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- When serving, pour cherries over cake and dust with powdered sugar.