Bursting with lemony flavor, this super moist sour cream lemon cake is just the thing to bake when you are entertaining or just want something sweet.
For the cake:
1 1/2 C AP flour
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 C sour cream (we used low fat)
Lemon zest, grated (from 2 lemons)
1/3 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c vegetable oil
For the lemon curd (optional):
3/4 C milk
3 Tbsp lemon zest, grated (from 3 lemons)
1/3 C fresh lemon juice
4 egg yolks
1 stick unsalted butter
1 C sugar
For the glaze:
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
To make the lemon curd (optional):
- combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and reaches 175°-180°. DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
- While still hot, pour the mixture through a strainer.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using vegetable oil, grease a loaf pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Mix vegetable oil in with a rubber spatula, carefully making sure it's combined.
- Pour the batter into loaf pan.
- Add half of the lemon curd (if you are using it, otherwise skip to step 10).
- Using a chopstick or a knife, swirl the lemon curd into the cake batter loosely
- Bake for about 50 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).
To make the glaze:
- While cake is baking, mix 2 TBSP lemon juice + 1/3 C confectioners' sugar in a small sauce pan until the sugar dissolves.
- Set aside.
To glaze the cake:
- Allow finished cake to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan before glazing.
- Carefully remove cake from loaf pan and place on a baking rack or sheet pan.
- Drizzle the lemon sugar glaze mixture over the cake evenly and allow it to soak in.
- Slice an serve.
Keywords: lemon, cake, easy, sour cream, lemony, glaze, lemon curd, curd, moist, simple baking,