We took a classic recipe and changed it up to make an everything style pretzel.
- 4 C All Purpose flour
- 3/4 C ice cold water
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, plus 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 C cold milk
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 1/4 Tbsp yeast
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/4 C Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Combine flour, water, 3 Tbsp Butter, milk, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Mix on low speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl once if necessary. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured 10-inch pie pan or a dinner plate.
- Spray a large piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and transfer dough and wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Using waxed paper or parchment paper roll out each stick of butter evenly between 2 sheets to form an 8x8 inch square that is about 1/8" thick. When you have all three flattened sticks of butter rolled into sheets place them in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day remove dough and place on slightly floured surface and roll out to form a 14 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Place one sheet of the butter on top of dough and fold dough over to cover butter.
- Roll gently with rolling pin until dough is back to the 14 x 10 inch shape.If dough gets soft refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Repeat adding the second sheet of butter and folding dough over to completely cover butter. Refrigerate.
- Repeat the butter step again and roll back out to the original size.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Make sure the dough is a proper rectangle with clean edges and cut the dough by measuring in 2 inches on the long edge and cutting dough to the corner of the opposite side making triangles. Repeat from the opposite side or dough until you are done. You should yield 14 croissants.
- Roll dough from long side to the tip creating croissants, curving ends in to form traditional shape.
- Place on baking sheets and place in warm 75-80 degree area and cover with a towel and allow to proof for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl combine baking soda with 2 cups water.
- Dip croissants in water mixture and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Crack egg in small bowl and mix with 1 tsp water.
- Brush each croissant with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle each croissant with bagel seasoning and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 375° and bake an additional 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool.