- 2-3 lbs Russet Potatoes
- 1-pint heavy cream
- 1 C milk
- 4 oz each of smoked gouda, cream, sharp cheddar and fontina cheeses (shredded)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Sprigs of rosemary
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Using a mandoline, slice all potatoes about an 1/8" thick.
- Place in large bowl and soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Strain from water.
- Transfer potatoes to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil for 7 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from heat and drain and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add milk, cream and rosemary, along with salt and pepper. Heat just to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove garlic and rosemary and discard.
- Using a 12" sauté pan, start by drizzling in the olive oil to coat pan.
- Arrange potatoes in bottom of pan in a single layer shingling the potatoes.
- Cover with a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat the step of layering potatoes, however, this time add two layers of potatoes.
- Top with another third of the cheese.
- Continue to layer potatoes until they are all used and they are 1/2" from the top of the pan.
- Top with remaining cheese and then slowly pour cream mixture over top, allowing it to work its way through the layers. Continue until all potatoes are covered. Cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18-25 minutes or until dish is bubbly and browned.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: side dishes
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 1016.9 mg
- Fat: 24.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
- Cholesterol: 66 mg
Keywords: potatoes, gratin, potato, cheese, cheesy, comfort food, side, holiday, Thanksgiving, scalloped