Come in from the cold! Hearty Beef Stroganoff is made with leftover chuck roast from Sunday dinner & mushrooms. It's quintessential comfort food.
- TO MAKE THE ROAST FOR DINNER THE DAY BEFORE:
- 2.5-3 lb chuck roast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots cut into chunks
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary.
- FOR THE SOUP THE NEXT DAY:
- Remaining liquid plus water to make one quart
- 8 oz dry egg noodles
- 8 oz mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Heat a heavy duty skillet over high heat .
- Pat dry the chuck roast and sprinkle salt pepper and rosemary equally on all sides.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Use a cast iron dutch oven if you have one (a heavy baking pan will work if you cover the roast with heavy duty foil before placing in oven).
- Place chuck roast in the skillet on stove and allow roast to sear on all sides, turning as needed using tongs.
- Transfer to dutch oven and add onion, celery and carrots and enough water to come up halfway on roast. Cover and roast for 2.5-3 hours until fork tender.
- When roast is done, serve and reserve all liquid and veggies until next day.
- TO MAKE THE SOUP THE NEXT DAY:
- In a medium stockpot, add remaining liquid from roast and enough water to make 1 qt. As it heats up use a fork to "smash" all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Allow to come to a boil.
- While this is heating up, melt butter in sauté pan and cook mushrooms over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes until browned. Add 2 tbsp flour and stir in over medium heat.
- After broth boils add egg noodles and cook until tender.
- Add mushroom and flour mixture and blend until gravy like texture is achieved. If too thick add 1/4 C water or milk until desired consistency.
- Pull remaining meat apart with fingers and add to noodles. Stir in sour cream and serve.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Keywords: beef, comfort food, Sunday supper, Sunday dinner, noodles, stew, leftovers