A fresh baked, easy to make bread that is bursting with fresh flavors. Perfect for a dinner bread or a mid day snack.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 C warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 Tbsp and 1/2 C Carapelli Unfiltered Olive Oil
- 5 C flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- For the hot pickled peppers:
- 2 C sliced assorted hot peppers (seeds removed)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 C water
- To make the peppers:
- In a large sauce pan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and garlic and heat over medium heat until water starts to bubble.
- Add peppers to mixture and transfer to air tight container and place in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the bread:
- In a large bowl, combine water, sugar and yeast. Mix with fork.
- Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes to activate yeast (it will foam).
- Combine flour and salt and mix into liquid mixture until it forms a dough ball.
- Remove it from bowl and place on floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and and just slightly tacky.
- Add 2 tablespoons Carapelli unfiltered olive oil to a clean bowl and roll dough ball to coat.
- Cover and allow to rest in a warm place until size has doubled. About 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a 10 x 13 baking pan and stretch to corners using finger tips
- Drain the peppers you prepared. Place in a bowl and add 1/2 C of the Carapelli unfiltered olive oil in bowl.
- Pour peppers and oil over top of dough making sure to spread peppers evenly while pressing down with your fingers.
- Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Place in pre-heated 425 degree oven and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and serve sliced warm with a side of the Carapelli unfiltered olive oil for dipping.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt as desired.
Keywords: bread, pepper, italian, peppers, pastry, baked, spicy