A light and not-too-sweet dessert that make you want to skip dinner
- About 3–4 Cups bread cut into 1/2 inch pieces (a hearty crusted bread works best)
- 3 eggs
- 1 C milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C plus 1 tbsp white sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 pint blueberries
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- Place diced bread in a bread pan
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and the brown sugar until well combined
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour egg mixture over bread and allow to soak in until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 min)
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes until bread pudding is firm and all liquid is gone.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes (this can be made in advance 1-3 days if needed).
- In a mixing bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, 1 tbsp sugar, and orange zest until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to assemble dessert.
- In a small sauce pan, combine blueberries + 1/4 C sugar and cook over medium heat smashing blueberries until blueberries turn bright purple (about 5-10 min)
- To assemble: slice bread pudding into three 1/2 ” thick pieces and sauté in a pan with the melted butter (about 1 minute on each side).
- On a plate spread 1/2 C orange cheese mixture, then layer bread pudding slices and top with blueberry compote.