An authentic Belgian waffle that is both decadent and simple.
- 1 C warm milk (105-110°)
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 stick softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 3/4 C AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 C pearl sugar
- 1 C dried cranberries
- Heat milk to correct temperature and then add yeast and allow to set for 10 minutes
- Add brown sugar and combine
- Place flour in large bowl and add butter, salt, vanilla and almond extract, Mix to combine.
- Add eggs and stir in (this will be a dough, not a batter like most waffle batter).
- Cover and allow dough to sit for about 45 minutes until dough is doubled in size.
- Stir in pearl sugar and cranberries (optional)
- Heat waffle iron and lightly spray with oil.
- Drop dough into center of iron (enough for dough to cover the inner third of iron).
- Cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- As you cook these the sugar will melt and make the next waffles coated with a little sugar as it caramelizes in the iron.