A unique spin on a classic french custard dessert
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 C plus 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp rum extract
- 1/4 C chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat whipping cream and vanilla extract scrapped from bean until almost boiling over medium heat.
- While cream is heating, take a medium mixing bowl and beat egg yolks and 1/3 C sugar until light in color (about 5 minutes).
- As soon as cream is ready to boil, remove from heat and add about 1/2 cup of cream to eggs and mix quickly (you do not want the eggs to cook).
- Pour egg mixture into cream and mix until well combined.
- Add rum extract and pistachios and mix.
- Pour mixture into 6 ramekins (we use 6 oz ramekins) and place in 9x13 baking pan and place in oven.
- Pour warm water into pan to surround ramekins and bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly set.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate ramekins for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Remove from fridge and divide remaining sugar on top of each dish
- Brown sugar using a torch.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.