A gourmet mac and cheese made with beer cheese, mustard, and a Bavarian pretzel topping
- 8 oz dry pasta (we used elicoidali)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 oz beer (we used an IPA)
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 tbsp coarse-ground mustard
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 C soft pretzel, diced into 1/4” pieces
- Boil pasta according to directions on package
- Drain and set aside
- In a sauce pan, melt 2 tbsp butter and mix in 2 tbsp flour and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add beer and stir until combined
- Add milk and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese and mustard and reduce heat to low. (if too thick you can add more milk or beer). You want a medium thickness to the sauce.
- In a separate pan, melt 2 tbsp butter and add chopped pretzels to coat with butter.
- Combine cheese sauce and pasta and transfer to an oven safe container and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with pretzel pieces and return to oven to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy