Your holiday table deserves the best. Roasted Spatchcock Chicken with Citrus Marinade comes out delicious, tender, and juicy every time.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 C fresh orange juice
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion quartered
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 C Olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp fresh black pepper crushed
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Start by cutting the backbone out of the chicken. To do this, turn chicken breast side down on cutting board. Find center and make two long cuts, 1/2" on both sides of back bone. Using kitchen shears, cut down both knife cuts making sure to cut through all the bones.
- Remove bone and place chicken in shallow baking pan.
- To make Citrus Marinade: combine orange juice, olive oil, spices, crushed garlic and salt and pepper into a small mixing bowl.
- Pour over chicken and cover and allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook chicken, remove the chicken from marinade and place bone side down. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Remove the herbs and garlic from the marinade and chop them. Set aside.
- Rub the butter all over the skin of the chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place quartered onion on baking sheet with chicken and then rub reserved garlic and herbs over chicken.
- Place in preheated 400° oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and cover with foil. Roast approximately for 1 hour (or until internal temperature reaches 165°).
- When chicken is done, remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve with oranges, pomegranate, herbs and your favorite garnishes.
Keywords: spatchcock, chicken, roasted, citrus, marinade, easy, holiday,