- 1 whole chicken
- 1 C fresh orange juice
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion quartered
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 C Olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp fresh black pepper crushed
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Start by cutting the backbone out of the chicken. To do this, turn chicken breast side down on cutting board. Find center and make two long cuts, 1/2" on both sides of back bone. Using kitchen shears, cut down both knife cuts making sure to cut through all the bones.
- Remove bone and place chicken in shallow baking pan.
- To make Citrus Marinade: combine orange juice, olive oil, spices, crushed garlic and salt and pepper into a small mixing bowl.
- Pour over chicken and cover and allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook chicken, remove the chicken from marinade and place bone side down. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Remove the herbs and garlic from the marinade and chop them. Set aside.
- Rub the butter all over the skin of the chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place quartered onion on baking sheet with chicken and then rub reserved garlic and herbs over chicken.
- Place in preheated 400° oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and cover with foil. Roast approximately for 1 hour (or until internal temperature reaches 165°).
- When chicken is done, remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve with oranges, pomegranate, herbs and your favorite garnishes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/4 chicken
- Calories: 616
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1969.3 mg
- Fat: 38.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9 g
- Protein: 53.5 g
- Cholesterol: 199.5 mg
Keywords: spatchcock, chicken, roasted, citrus, marinade, easy, holiday,