Whether your're celebrating Mardi Gras or cooking for the family, Creole Style Shrimp Jambalaya is a classic recipe that can be on your table in 30 minutes.
- 8 oz of your favorite sausage
- 1 lb raw large shrimp
- 2 C uncooked brown rice
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 C chopped celery
- 1/4 C chopped green onions
- 1/4 C hot pepper sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot that has a lid that will fit tightly, heat olive oil and add diced onion, garlic, red pepper and sausage. Cook over medium heat until sausage is browned. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add rice and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, celery and spices along with 3 C water and reduce heat to medium low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add shrimp, sausage that has been sliced into 1/4 inch coins along with hot sauce to top of mixture. Replace cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and shrimp are cooked.
- Place in serving containers and top with green onion.
Keywords: shrimp, jambalaya, one pot meal, mardi gras, fat tuesday, creole, southern, rice