A mouth-watering appetizer combining a traditional Caprese salad with southern cornmeal-fried green tomatoes.
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 8 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium red tomatoes (we used heirloom)
- 1 C yellow corn meal
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 egg
- Purple basil leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C canola oil
- For the Pesto:
- 1 C fresh Basil leaves
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C olive oil
- To make pesto:
- Place basil, garlic clove and parmesan cheese in a food processor and blend till finely chopped.
- Slowly pour oil into mixture until well combined. Set aside.
- To make fried green tomatoes:
- Slice tomatoes 1/4" thick
- Set up three well breading stations.
- Crack one egg in bowl and mix with 1 tbsp water.
- Place flour on plate
- Place corn meal on plate and mix with garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Place oil in skillet and heat to medium high
- Place tomatoes in flour, then dip into egg mixture, then coat in cornmeal and place in frying pan. Cook until golden brown, then turn and cook until brown on each side (about 2 minutes each side)
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- To assemble:
- Place green tomato on plate and top with slice of mozzarella cheese and then with a few leaves of purple basil.
- Add some pesto and slice of red tomato.
- Repeat layer and top with more pesto.