Vegetarian Spring Pea & Ricotta Ravioli, topped with a light & simple sauce, is big on flavor and not so big on fat.
For the Pasta:
- 2 1/2 C Semolina flour
- 1 1/4 C All Purpose flour
- 6 Eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
For the Filling:
- 2 C low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 C green peas
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (zest lemons and reserve zest before juicing)
- 3 Tbsp grated Romano cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- 1/2 C peas
- 1/2 C water (reserved from cooking pasta)
- 2 tbsp flour
To make the Pasta:
- Sift together both flours along with salt and pour onto a counter top. Make a well inside and add eggs and oil.
- Whisk eggs while slowly incorporating flour until you are able to use your hands and mix dough.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, adding a little flour at a time if needed.
- Cover dough and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
To make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, peas, garlic, lemon juice, Romano cheese, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined using a fork breaking up the peas.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
To assemble ravioli:
- Cut dough into small portions and place in pasta roller and roll until 1/16 inch thick.
- Drop 1 tbsp of mix on dough and cover with another sheet of dough.
- Using a cutter, cut and press edges of ravioli and continue until all formed.
To cook ravioli:
- Using a large pot, Boil salted water. Place ravioli in water and when they float continue to cook for 4 minutes. Drain while reserving 1 cup of the water to use in the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter. Add the olive oil then add flour and cook over low heat.
- Add lemon juice and water from cooked pasta. Add lemon zest and peas and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add ravioli and spoon sauce over top.
- Remove from heat and top with sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or micro greens.
Keywords: pasta, ravioli, dinner, homemade, semolina, pea, ricotta, cheese, vegetarian