Fresh, charred sweet corn, homegrown peppers, and succulent potatoes make this Sweet Corn Cheesy Chowder a fall favorite.
- 3 ears of yellow corn
- 3 C of potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 1 C roasted peppers (we used a combination of cubenelles and red chilies), diced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 3 C milk
- 2 C water
- 2 C shredded velveeta cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large stock pot, start by adding chopped bacon and onions and cook until bacon is crispy (about 8 minutes).
- Add diced potatoes and chicken base and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add butter and allow to melt. Add chopped peppers and flour and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring.
- While this is cooking, place peeled ears of corn over a hot grill or directly on the burner of a gas stove, allowing some of the corn to char. Turn corn often to ensure even browning.
- remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add milk and water to pot and allow to cook over medium heat. The soup will start to thicken (about 7-10 minutes). At this time, cut the corn from the cob and add to the soup.
- As the soup gets to the correct thickness, add both the cream cheese and Velveeta cheese and reduce heat to low and allow cheese to melt. Stir often.
- Add chopped cilantro just before serving.
- Garnish with a mix of corn and onion.
Keywords: soup, corn, cheesy, summer, sweet, cilantro, peppers, fall, autumn, cheese, chowder, potato