Grandpa’s classic Christmas cookie recipe
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- With electric or stand mixer, mix flour, salt and powdered sugar together.
- Mix in butter.
- Beat egg, but only use 2 teaspoons of egg in batter
- Add vanilla and blend well.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out chilled dough on floured surface to 1/8″ thickness
- Cut out using cookie cutters
- Use balance of egg mixture to brush tops of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar (and chopped nuts if you choose).
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes