- 4 Large ripe Tomatoes or 8 Roma Tomatoes (or substitute 1 29 oz can crushed tomatoes)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 C sliced green onions
- 6-8 basil leaves
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 C olive oil
- Peel and chop garlic cloves.
- In a large sauté pan, add oil, garlic and green onions and sauté over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes into small pieces. Add to sauté pan and cook down, stirring often (about 10 minutes).
- At this point you can use an emulsion blender if you like a smoother sauce. If not, go ahead and add the sugar and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Tear basil leaves and add to sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.
- If you don't have homegrown tomatoes, use canned San Marzano tomatoes (whole or crushed tomatoes both work).
- If you prefer a smooth sauce (not chunky), use an emulsion blender (or put it in the food processor) before serving.
- For a spicy version of this sauce, check out our Arrabbiata Sauce recipe.
- To store: place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 3/4 C
- Calories: 54
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 10.2 mg
- Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tomato, sauce, vegetarian, tomato sauce, easy, dinner, pasta, Italian, fresh, homemade