Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arrabbiata Sauce is a delicious, pizzeria style pie you can make at home.Living in New York City spoils you for pizza choices. So, when we are back in our hometown, we struggle to find pizza that we love. This gives us a great excuse to make our own pie at home. Jackie is fan of plain cheese pizza in general, but from time to time she indulges in pepperoni, mushroom or sausage toppings. Although peppers are not high on her list of favorite foods, I could eat roasted peppers on most everything. I won out for once here, convincing her to try this Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arrabbiata Sauce.This amazing pizza starts with fresh, homemade dough and sauce, both which can be prepared the day before to make this dinner a quick and easy one. The sauce is pretty standard, made with crushed tomatoes, fresh herbs and olive oil. I added crushed red pepper and black pepper to give it that Arrabbiata “zing.” If spicy is what you like, feel free to use some different varieties of peppers that are a little hotter. I like ricotta cheese on this pie, as it balances out the heat of the sauce, giving it a memorable bite.
To make this pizza, I used a baking stone on our grill. I think this method produces a perfectly crisp and bubbly crust. However, a pizza pan in the oven will work just fine. I am a big fan of this Roasted Pepper Pizza; each bite is packed with a ton of robust flavor, and it goes great with your favorite beer or a glass of wine.
Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arrabbiata Sauce is a delicious, pizzeria style pie you can make at home.
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 C warm water (110°)
- 3 3/4 C flour (plus 1/2 C extra for kneading)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pint crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 10 basil leaves
- 6-8 small assorted peppers
- 1 C fresh ricotta cheese
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the 110° water and mix in with fingers.
- Let sit until yeast becomes cloudy and creamy.
- In a large bowl combine 3 3/4 C flour and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Add the yeast and water mixture and mix with hook attached to mixer (or by hand) until form a ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding flour a little at a time.
- Place dough in a large bowl with 2 tbsp oil to coat dough. Cover and place in warm area until dough has doubled (about 2 hours).
- TO PREPARE THE SAUCE:
- Using a medium sauce pan, pour olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, crushed red pepper and black pepper into pan and cook covered over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4-6 basil leaves torn to sauce and stir in (sauce can be made up to a week in advance).
- To roast peppers, simply turn gas burner on and place directly in flame until peppers are completely blackened and charred. Place on plate and allow to cool. Using your hands, rub charred skin off peppers and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare pizza, roll dough out on floured surface until its desired thickness.
- Place dough onto pizza pan and top with sauce and roasted peppers and place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza and place spoonfuls of ricotta on pizza and return to oven and bake until crust is golden brown. About 7-10 minutes.
- Top with remaining basil leaves and enjoy.
Keywords: pepper, pizza, pizzeria, pie, spicy, homemade, sauce, grilled