- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp chicken base
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Cups Amazing Mashed Potatoes
- In a sauté pan, melt butter then add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- In a large stock pot, add water and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken base, broccoli and potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add carrots.
- Cook for 5 minutes and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Add milk and heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine the onions mixed with flour and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Add cream and cheddar cheese and stir until cheeses are melted.
- Add paprika and nutmeg and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place 1/2 Cup mashed potatoes in bowl and top with 1 Cup soup.
- Garnish with cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- SERVE IT WITHOUT THE MASHED POTATOES: While we think serving this soup over mashed potatoes is what makes it special, the recipe is solid on its own. It still has plenty of cheesy potato flavor.
- USE INSTANT MASHED POTATOES: a good cheat to this recipe is to use boxed potato flakes. They are super easy to make and taste pretty good.
- STORAGE TIPS: broccoli and potato soup can be kept up to 5 days in the refrigerator. It also freezes well (in an air tight container) for comfort food on demand.
- FROZEN BROCCOLI can be substituted for fresh broccoli in a pinch.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: 8 oz
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 10.5 g
- Sodium: 512.6 mg
- Fat: 40.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.3 g
- Protein: 20.8 g
- Cholesterol: 114.1 mg
Keywords: potato, soup, cheddar, potato, creamy, easy, cheese, cheesy, comfort food, broccoli, mashed potatoes