Cornmeal Griddle Cakes, stacked high and topped with Fresh Cranberry Compote, are a fabulous holiday breakfast or weekend brunch.
FOR GRIDDLE CAKES:
- 1 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 C yellow corn meal
- 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 C milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tbsp melted margarine
- vegetable oil as needed
FOR CRANBERRY TOPPING:
- 2 C fresh cranberries
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C water
TO MAKE GRIDDLE CAKES:
- Measure milk and place in bowl. Add vinegar and allow to sit for 15 minutes (the milk will start to curdle so don't be alarmed).
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Once milk has set for 15 minutes, add melted margarine and eggs and mix.
- Combine with dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on stove top until hot. Add a little oil (about a tbsp) and drop batter by 1/4 c fulls. Cook until bubbly, then flip and cook another 30 seconds. Continue until all pancakes are done.
TO MAKE CRANBERRY COMPOTE TOPPING:
- Place cranberries in a medium sauce pan and cook over low heat until the berries start to "pop". Add sugar and water and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon corn starch with 1 tbsp of water. Add to mixture and stir.
- Remove from heat and serve in between pancakes and on top.
Keywords: griddle cakes, pancakes, cranberry, cornmeal, brunch, breakfast, holiday, Christmas, berry, corn