Cornmeal Griddle Cakes with Fresh Cranberry Compote are decadent and delicious holiday breakfast.Christmas is coming soon; Santa is on his way. The morning will be filled with family and gifts, and great memories will be made. The gifts will be opened and a glorious mess is sure to be created. In our house, Christmas morning is a fun time that I always look forward to. One tradition that the kids have become accustomed to is a big breakfast, complete with Chocolate Banana Pancakes. While Jackie and the kids settle into the comfy couch, wrap themselves in blankets, and look like they are ready for a nap, I take a great pleasure in preparing an extravagant breakfast, fit for a king.
I start with fresh home fried potatoes, fresh thick sliced bacon, sausage patties and buttery scrambled eggs. Every year I include pancakes or waffles. Each year I try to come up with something different from the years previous. We have had waffles with a buttery pecan topping, banana pancakes, fresh blueberry pancakes. This year I wanted something different. These Cornmeal Griddle Cakes were inspired by a Soho restaurant, The Dutch, where we met friends this past weekend for a holiday brunch. While I ate a burger, and others chose fried chicken with biscuits, Jackie ordered corn pancakes with fresh blueberries.
This is just the inspiration we needed for a new breakfast. With Christmas around the corner, we wanted to make something that would look as great on the holiday table as it tasted. Fresh cranberries are in great supply this time of year, and many people use them in traditional ways. I thought that the tasty and tart berries would compliment the crunchy griddle cakes perfectly. These Cornmeal Griddle Cakes will surely be featured on our table this year. They are festive looking with a beautiful complex texture, and most importantly they are delicious. This makes for great holiday breakfast.
Cornmeal Griddle Cakes, stacked high and topped with Fresh Cranberry Compote, are a fabulous holiday breakfast or weekend brunch.
FOR GRIDDLE CAKES:
- 1 ½ C all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ C yellow corn meal
- ¼ C sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ C milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tbsp melted margarine
- vegetable oil as needed
FOR CRANBERRY TOPPING:
- 2 C fresh cranberries
- ½ C sugar
- ¼ C water
TO MAKE GRIDDLE CAKES:
- Measure milk and place in bowl. Add vinegar and allow to sit for 15 minutes (the milk will start to curdle so don't be alarmed).
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Once milk has set for 15 minutes, add melted margarine and eggs and mix.
- Combine with dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on stove top until hot. Add a little oil (about a tbsp) and drop batter by ¼ c fulls. Cook until bubbly, then flip and cook another 30 seconds. Continue until all pancakes are done.
TO MAKE CRANBERRY COMPOTE TOPPING:
- Place cranberries in a medium sauce pan and cook over low heat until the berries start to "pop". Add sugar and water and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon corn starch with 1 tbsp of water. Add to mixture and stir.
- Remove from heat and serve in between pancakes and on top.
Keywords: griddle cakes, pancakes, cranberry, cornmeal, brunch, breakfast, holiday, Christmas, berry, corn