This easy Cream of Tomato Soup recipe, with Smoked Gouda + Bacon Croutons, is a sophisticated play on a childhood favorite.
- FOR THE SOUP:
- 10-12 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 basil leaves
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C -1 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp chicken base
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- FOR THE CROUTONS:
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices bread
- 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut tomatoes into 2" pieces and place on baking sheet.
- Add rough chopped onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, until tomatoes and are soft and onions are translucent.
- Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add basil leaves, chicken base and 1 C water.
- Grind until smooth using a stick (emulsion) blender.
- Add heavy cream and stir. Use as much cream as you like to reach desired consistency.
- TO MAKE CROUTONS:
- Butter one side of all slices of bread.
- Place butter side down in skillet and top 2 slices of bread with 2 slices bacon each as well as 2 ounces each gouda cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices and cook over medium heat until bread is browned and cheese melted.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Cut crusts off and then cut into 3/4" square pieces. Place in mixing bowl and toss with olive oil and parmesan cheese.
- Place in skillet over medium heat and toss until crispy and browned ( about 4-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle croutons on top of soup and drizzle with some heavy cream and chopped chives.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: soup, recipe, easy, cream of tomato, grilled cheese, gouda. bacon, fall, comfort, autumn