This homemade Creamy Tomato Soup recipe, made with fresh tomatoes, is a sophisticated play on a childhood favorite. Top it with Smoked Gouda and Bacon Croutons for a creamy, comforting bite.
Smooth, creamy, and rich with roasted tomato flavor, Cream of Tomato Soup is sure to become you new family favorite. Like our Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce, it's a delicious way to use all those homegrown tomatoes from the garden.
The best part: homemade Tomato Soup comes together quickly for a comforting meal all year round. Like our Cheesy Corn Chowder, this soup satisifies with robust, homegrown flavor.
- WHOLE TOMATOES: Roma Tomatoes or Plum Tomatoes, roasted to bring out their natural flavor (canned tomatoes work too)
- ONIONS: Spanish onions, Vidalia onions or red onions
- GARLIC: fresh garlic cloves, roasted with the tomatoes
- BASIL: fresh basil leaves
- OLIVE OIL: use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford
- PARMESAN CHEESE: freshly grated Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- HEAVY CREAM: heavy cream or heavy whipping cream makes this soup creamy
- CHICKEN BASE: (chicken stock) we use Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- CRUSHED RED PEPPER: crushed red pepper flakes
- BLACK PEPPER: Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ITALIAN SEASONING: the perfect blend of spices
*see recipe card for quantities.
- Preheat Oven: to 400° F
- Chop Tomatoes, Onions, and Garlic: Cut tomatoes into 2" pieces and place on baking sheet. Add rough chopped onions and garlic.
- Season: Sprinkle tomato mixture with olive oil, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Roast the Tomatoes: Place in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, until tomatoes and are soft and onions are translucent.
- Transfer to Sauce Pan: Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add basil leaves, chicken base and 1 C water.
- Blend Soup: Grind until smooth, using an emulsion blender (immersion blender) directly in the sauce pan.
- Add Cream: Add heavy cream and stir. Use as much cream as you like to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish: Sprinkle Smoked Gouda + Bacon Croutons (Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches) on top of soup (see recipe below). Drizzle with some heavy cream and chopped chives.
For the creamiest soup: use an emulsion blender to blend the tomato soup until smooth. If the pot is full, take it off the stove and blend in the sink to avoid splatter.
- Chunky Tomato Soup: To get a chunky consistency, blend soup a little less (or stir by hand, crushing the tomatoes).
- Canned Tomatoes: you can substitute canned tomatoes for fresh tomatoes in a pinch. We like whole San Marzano tomatoes best.
- Reduced Fat: use 1% milk or Half and Half instead of heavy cream. This will make the soup less creamy, but it still tastes great.
- Vegetarian: substitute Vegetable Base for Chicken Base (we like Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base).
What to serve with Tomato Soup
More soups to try
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze in an airtight container (only if using heavy cream) for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave or in a sauce pan over low heat.
Yes! We recommend San Marzano tomatoes or Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes,
We prefer Chicken Base for flavorful tomato soup. You can also use vegetable base for a vegetarian option.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
FOR THE SOUP:
- 10-12 Roma or plum tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 basil leaves
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ C grated parmesan cheese
- ½ C -1 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp chicken base
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
FOR THE CROUTONS:
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices bread
- 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ C parmesan cheese
TO MAKE THE SOUP:
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut tomatoes into 2" pieces and place on baking sheet.
- Add rough chopped onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, until tomatoes and are soft and onions are translucent.
- Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add basil leaves, chicken base and 1 C water.
- Grind until smooth using a stick (emulsion) blender.
- Add heavy cream and stir. Use as much cream as you like to reach desired consistency.
TO MAKE CROUTONS:
- Butter one side of all slices of bread.
- Place butter side down in skillet and top 2 slices of bread with 2 slices bacon each as well as 2 ounces each gouda cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices and cook over medium heat until bread is browned and cheese melted.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Cut crusts off and then cut into ¾" square pieces. Place in mixing bowl and toss with olive oil and parmesan cheese.
- Place in skillet over medium heat and toss until crispy and browned ( about 4-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle croutons on top of soup and drizzle with some heavy cream and chopped chives.
- Serve warm.
- you can substitute canned tomatoes for fresh tomatoes in a pinch. We like whole San Marzano tomatoes the best.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8 oz bowl
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 503.1 mg
- Fat: 23.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 59.1 mg
Keywords: soup, recipe, easy, cream of tomato, grilled cheese, gouda. bacon, fall, comfort, autumn, creamy, cream