Rich, complex and satisfying, Fire Roasted Black Bean Soup combines fresh Southwestern flavors into a comforting bowl of goodness.
- 12 oz black beans (dry)
- 4 C water
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 C diced carrots
- 1/2 C fresh corn
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 C green onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from one lime
- Place the beans in a large stock pot and cover with water (if using canned beans, skip to step 4).
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cover. Allow to sit for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Drain the beans and then place pot back on stove. Add oil, chopped carrots and garlic (chopped) and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all peppers and onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add beans back in with chicken base and 4 Cups water. Cover and cook over low for 30 minutes.
- Char the corn over gas burner or grill and cut from cob.
- Stir in juice from 1 lime along with cilantro and serve with sour cream and sliced jalepeños.
- Make this recipe VEGAN! Substitute vegetable base for chicken base.
- Use canned black beans to cut prep time!
Keywords: black bean, fire roasted, soup, southwestern, corn, bean