Jackie and I are ready for warmer weather, but that doesn’t mean that we have to stop eating soup! We love soups of all kind, and I've talked a lot on superman cooks about how soups are my favorite foods to make. I like to experiment with new flavors (like Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup), but I also love the classics (like Cream of Tomato Soup).
This year as Covid has kept us home most of the time, I have been drawn to southwestern styled foods. Somehow a meal made with an extra pop of spice and flavor makes everyone feel better. Fire Roasted Black Bean Soup is just that kind of meal. It is simple to make, but the flavors are surprisingly rich and complex. While I like to use dried fresh beans because it develops flavor so much better, this soup can be made just as delicious with the canned beans (with just a few tweaks to the recipe).
Superman Cooks tip: cut time by using canned beans instead of dry ones.
What we love about this soup is that it combines fresh ingredients such as lime juice, cilantro, and sour cream to help balance the subtle heat of the peppers. I would call this version about 4 on a scale of 10 for heat level. Please feel free to add or cut back on the amount of peppers you use. This Black Bean Soup by itself is a hearty and satisfying meal. But we like to pair it with some fresh baked Skillet Fiesta Cornbread to take it to the next level. Jackie likes a milder soup while I like a spicier version, so I add a little more sour cream to her serving to tame the heat slightly. Either way it's yours to make and enjoy any way you like.Print
- 12 oz black beans (dry)
- 4 C water
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 C diced carrots
- ½ C fresh corn
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ C green onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp oil
- ½ C chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from one lime
- Place the beans in a large stock pot and cover with water (if using canned beans, skip to step 4).
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cover. Allow to sit for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Drain the beans and then place pot back on stove. Add oil, chopped carrots and garlic (chopped) and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all peppers and onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add beans back in with chicken base and 4 Cups water. Cover and cook over low for 30 minutes.
- Char the corn over gas burner or grill and cut from cob.
- Stir in juice from 1 lime along with cilantro and serve with sour cream and sliced jalepeños.
- Make this recipe VEGAN! Substitute vegetable base for chicken base.
- Use canned black beans to cut prep time!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: soups
- Method: n/a
- Cuisine: southwestern
- Serving Size: 6 ounce bowl
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 19.6 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.5 g
- Protein: 10.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: black bean, fire roasted, soup, southwestern, corn, bean