A unique chicken taco made with fresh ingredients and a flavor boost of Sriracha
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 C chopped cilantro
- 1 C salt
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- 1 lemon
- 3 limes
- 2 TBSP chopped garlic
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 C shredded carrots
- 2 Cups shredded lettuce
- 1 C shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 C mayo
- 2 TBSP Sriracha sauce
- Start by brining the chicken. This should be done at least 6 hours before grilling.
- Place cut up chicken in a large stock pot covered with water at least 3 inches over top of chicken.
- Add salt, and lemon juice along with zest of the lemon.
- Store in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from water and discard water.
- Pre-heat grill to high.
- With paper towels, dry off chicken and rub chicken with olive oil.
- Place chicken pieces on grill and "char" chicken, turning as to not burn chicken (about 10 minutes)
- Lower temp to medium and cook chicken till juices run clear when pierced with fork (about 45 minutes)
- Remove from grill and allow to cool to the touch.
- With your hands, remove all skin and set aside. Pull all chicken from bones and place in large bowl.
- Take charred skin and dice finely and add to chicken (optional, but adds great flavor).
- Add cilantro, juice of two limes, garlic, cumin to chicken and mix to combine.
- Set aside and prepare lettuce slaw by adding lettuce, carrots, diced green onions,and juice of 1 lime. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To prepare Sriracha Aioli: simply combine mayo, sirachia and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- To assemble taco: place corn tortillas on hot grill for 20-30 seconds.
- Add chicken mixture, lettuce mixture, and sirachia mayo to tortillas and top with shredded cheese and tomatoes.
- Serve with a great pineapple jalapeño margarita