Looking for a lean burger recipe that's not lean on flavor? Jerk Turkey Burgers with Pineapple Slaw have ALL the flavor with less fat!
For the burgers:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 2 Tbsp Jerk Seasoning
- 1 green onion, chopped (use the whole onion, green included)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs
For the slaw:
- 1 C pineapple, julienned
- 1 C Napa cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 C peppers, julienned (we used red)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 Tsp Jerk Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp honey
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, egg whites and bread crumbs.
2. Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp jerk seasoning along with 1 chopped green onion and combine gently. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 5 minutes.
3. To make the slaw: combine the pineapple, pepper, 3 green onions, napa cabbage and mix.
4. Squeeze lime juice over slaw and mix in salt, pepper, jerk seasoning and honey. Allow to set in refrigerator until burgers are completely cooked.
5. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and patty into burgers.
6. Before cooking burgers, sprinkle remaining jerk seasoning over booth sides of burgers.
7. To prepare burgers, you can either cook on a grill or in a skillet. If cooking on grill, make sure grill is at least 375° and spray burgers lightly with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil.
8. Cook burgers for approximately 4 minutes on each side or until they have reached an internal temperature of 165°.
9. Place burgers on buns and top with slaw and your favorite condiments (we like a little Mayo on ours).
Keywords: turkey, burger, lean, meat, low fat, pineapple, slaw, jerk, seasoning, chardonnay, wine pairing