Burgers never go out of style here at Superman Cooks. While the boys in the house are partial to a classic beef burger, the girls and I are always asking Keith to create some leaner, healthier burgers for us to try. The Ultimate Umami Burger is one of our favorites).These Jerk Turkey Burgers, which Keith made to pair with Mer Soleil SILVER, are one of my favorite creations so far. They are lean in fat, but not lean in flavor. Each perfectly seasoned, juicy bite is even better with fresh, homemade pineapple slaw!
When our friends at Mer Soleil asked us to come up with an accessible, family style meal to pair with their SILVER Unoaked Chardonnay, we knew it would be a gourmet burger. What we didn’t know was just how good a gourmet turkey burger can be! Keith’s homemade Jerk Seasoning and fresh pineapple slaw add a level of complexity that makes this burger worthy of a wine like SILVER. SILVER Unoaked Chardonnay’s crisp, fresh style make it a favorite of ours for entertaining, or for a casual weeknight meal.
What I like about these burgers is that they are good all year round. Even as the days get shorter and the weather gets cooler, a Jerk Turkey Burger & a glass of SILVER is always delicious and in season.
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Mer Soleil. All opinions are our own.Print
Looking for a lean burger recipe that's not lean on flavor? Jerk Turkey Burgers with Pineapple Slaw have ALL the flavor with less fat!
For the burgers:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 2 Tbsp Jerk Seasoning
- 1 green onion, chopped (use the whole onion, green included)
- 2 egg whites
- ½ C panko bread crumbs
For the slaw:
- 1 C pineapple, julienned
- 1 C Napa cabbage, julienned
- ¼ C peppers, julienned (we used red)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 Tsp Jerk Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp honey
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, egg whites and bread crumbs.
2. Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp jerk seasoning along with 1 chopped green onion and combine gently. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 5 minutes.
3. To make the slaw: combine the pineapple, pepper, 3 green onions, napa cabbage and mix.
4. Squeeze lime juice over slaw and mix in salt, pepper, jerk seasoning and honey. Allow to set in refrigerator until burgers are completely cooked.
5. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and patty into burgers.
6. Before cooking burgers, sprinkle remaining jerk seasoning over booth sides of burgers.
7. To prepare burgers, you can either cook on a grill or in a skillet. If cooking on grill, make sure grill is at least 375° and spray burgers lightly with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil.
8. Cook burgers for approximately 4 minutes on each side or until they have reached an internal temperature of 165°.
9. Place burgers on buns and top with slaw and your favorite condiments (we like a little Mayo on ours).
Keywords: turkey, burger, lean, meat, low fat, pineapple, slaw, jerk, seasoning, chardonnay, wine pairing