Elevate your brunch game with Mixed Mushroom Toasts! This tartine is made with sourdough, three kinds of mushrooms and a perfectly fried egg.
- 8 oz white or mini crimini mushrooms
- 8 oz variety mushrooms (we used shitaki, oyster, and portabello)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic clove
- 1/2 C white wine (can use chicken broth)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 thick slices Italian bread
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spray bread slices with cooking spray and place in pan until bread is golden brown.
- Remove bread and place olive oil in pan.
- Using a food processor, chop the 8 ounces of white mushrooms to resemble a small coarse grind.
- Place this in pan along with the garlic cloves and black pepper. Sauté over medium high heat until nicely brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and add chopped parsley.
- Place in bowl. Add rough chopped remaining mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, use a non stick pan sprayed with cooking spray and cook two eggs until whites are set.
- To assemble toasts, place half of the white mushroom mixture on toast and top with the variety mushrooms, then top with egg.
- Garnish with pepper and chopped chives.
- No white wine on hand? Substitute chicken broth.
- Our mushrooms on toast recipe features a Sunny Side Up Egg, but you can serve this recipe with eggs over medium or even scrambled eggs.
- Make it vegan: omit the egg completely or use vegan egg substitutes. (this easy recipe contains no cream or butter).
- We prefer a fresh sourdough bread (white or whole wheat), Italian Bread, or thickly sliced Country Bread. A crunchy crust is key.
- For a creamy mushroom toast, add a dollop of Crème Fraîche.
- Wild mushrooms can definitely be used in this recipe.
- Substitute parsley with fresh thyme and/or drizzle with truffle oil for maximum flavor
Keywords: eggs, toast, mushroom toast, wild mushroom, crimini, shiitake, vegetarian, brunch, breakfast, no cream