A marinated chicken dish with roasted vegetables that screams fall.
- 1 half chicken (bone-in)
- 1 lemon (juiced and zested)
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/4 C cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 C fresh assorted vegetables (we used brussel sprouts, carrots, sweet potatoes)
- In a medium bowl, combine juice, zest, shallots, 5 cloves garlic (whole), olive oil, vinegar, rosemary, red pepper, black pepper, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Place half chicken in FoodSaver® bag. Pour 1/2 of the marinade into bag and seal. Place remaining marinade in container and refrigerate.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, however overnight is better.
- When ready to cook chicken, prepare vegetables by cutting brussel sprouts in half and other vegetables into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat a grill to medium high, Place a piece of foil down on grates and spray with cooking oil. Remove Chicken from bag and place bone side down on foil.
- Place remaining marinade and vegetables in a 10 in cast iron skillet along with remaining garlic cloves.
- Place cast iron skillet on top of chicken to cook the vegetables and weigh down the chicken.
- Close the lid of the grill and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes stir the vegetables and turn chicken over and replace the skillet on top of the chicken.
- Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until chicken reaches 170°.
- Remove vegetables when they are at desired tenderness.
- Turn grill off and allow chicken to rest with lid up for 10 minutes.
- Serve on platter with vegetables around chicken.