This Mediterranean inspired Kale & Cous Cous Salad is what summer is all about. Fresh, crisp veggies topped with a lemon herb vinaigrette.
For the Salad:
- 1 quart chopped kale
- 1 C cooked cous cous
- 1/2 C canned chick peas
- 1/2 C cashews
- 1 C diced tomatoes
- 1 C diced cucumbers
- 1 C feta cheese, crumbled
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 C fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp coarse salt
To make the dressing:
- Using a mortar and pestle, combine rosemary, fennel seeds, garlic and salt and grind until a fine consistency is achieved.
- Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Using a whisk, constantly whisk while slowly drizzling in olive oil until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss until combined.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Grind in fresh black pepper to taste.
- a mesclun mix (mixed greens) with radicchio can be substituted for kale as a base.
- almonds or walnuts can be used in place of cashews (we prefer them lightly toasted).
- use a mortar & pestle to ground up herbs before adding them to the dressing. It brings out the flavor.
Keywords: salad, Mediterranean, kale, cous cous, vegetarian, evoo, olive oil